Veøya is a small island in Romsdalsfjorden in Møre og Romsdal, in Molde municipality. It is a little over 1 km2.
The island was Norway's first landscape conservation area, and the buildings there are today owned by the Romsdal Museum. The word vé is Norse for "holy" and the name Veøy means the holy island or the island with the sanctuary. "Woe" was used in pre-Christian times. The two parts of the island are connected by a narrow property that was previously the seabed.
In the Middle Ages, there was a kaupang or market town on the island, and several apartment buildings are mentioned in documents from the Middle Ages. It has been proven what can be Christian graves from the 900s.
The island was strategically located as a hub for boat traffic in the Viking Age. When the fjord was the traffic road, Veøya (together with Sekken) was centrally located. The climate is relatively mild and the island has good port conditions. The Viking ships seldom went over Hustadvika, but rather went an inner route into Romsdalsfjorden and further into today's Åndalsnes if you were going to Eastern Norway or into Langfjorden if you were going further north towards Nidaros. In the middle of this intersection is Veøya, and the location led to the creation of a town there, Romsdal's first town - an economic, administrative and religious center.
In the Middle Ages, the island was a courthouse for Raumsdøla county. Veøya is mentioned by Snorre in connection with the battle of Sekken in 1162, where King Håkon Herdebrei fell against Erling Skakke.
The Baglers attacked the Birkebeinerne on the island in 1206. In 1375, a king's farm on Veøy was mentioned, this was probably a trading farm which was also a collection point for taxes and fees. Kaupangen had at most around 300 inhabitants, but lost its significance towards the end of the Middle Ages. The decline of Veøy-kaupangen probably began before the Black Death. Olav Håkonson ordered in 1384 that trade had to take place in cities and permanent towns: Borgund for Sunnmøre, Veøy for Romsdal, Trondheim for Nordmøre.
In documents from 1519, Veøy is no longer mentioned as a market town. The Kannik-office was maintained after the Reformation and the priest on Veøya made the Kannike promise in 1588. The church order from 1589 stipulated that there should be 9 churches "Vedøens" parish, these should be served by three priests and Veøy should be the main church. (From Wikipedia)